When we purchase a new home, our expectations lead us to believe that we will design it perfectly aesthetic. And we do! However, more often than not, we end up neglecting our garden.
Spending time out in the garden becomes a not so relaxing task- all the ugly electrical boxes, chain link fences, and air conditioning units in open view create a displeasing outdoor space.
But that’s not all; the sight gets more attention-grabbing! Because wheelie bins and bicycles left abandoned in the garden indeed tend to create a cluttered space.
There are multiple ways in which you can achieve your Pinterest- inspired garden, and this guide highlights the five biggest eyesores in the garden and ways in which you can avoid them!
1. Wheelie Bins -- Tuck Away the Unsightly Necessity!
Two adjectives best describe wheelie bins- unsightly and yet a necessity. Since there’s no way to dispose of wheelie bins from your life, you might as well make them feel at home. And that’s literally.
Wheelie bins are not exactly something you can store inside your garage or shed. They are awkward to move, they are heavy and worst of all they smell. So they must be kept outside in some corner of the garden or driveway where they wont be seen but are accessible! That is a tough task, especially if you don’t have that much space to avail of. The best thing to do is build them their own storage unit and then you can hide them in plain site!
If you want to hide your wheelie bin, then building your own storage unit is one way of doing it. Another way, is letting us fit one for you! Check out our storage units here.
2. Bicycles -- Transport Them to Safety!
Bicycles are a convenient way to make your way around town as well as burn some calories! However, they are not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing item to leave lying around in your back garden. Its not good for you and it is not good for the bike. The reasons being that frame and chain will rust from the lovely Irish weather.. Also, theft can be an issue!
If you have the luxury of a shed or garage, no matter what task you are doing, it always feels like you are stepping over some bike to grab those box of nails on the shelf. They are annoying and awkward when they are not in use.
The best solution is to build them their own storage unit. You can build one yourself using the various YouTube videos for design ideas. However, if you want a quick and easy solution, we can fit one for you! We have various metal or wood designs. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, then click here to find out more.
3. Electrical Boxes and Meters -- Camouflage Them!
There’s no way to get rid of these essential electrical boxes without the risk of having to live without electricity, right? Well, who says that you can’t camouflage them!
However, before you get creative, it’s important to check in with your local utility company to make sure they have no problems with the following..
- If you want to soften the angular pointed look electrical boxes give you every time you lay eyes on them- it’s time to plant some bushy shrubs behind the box. Our top picks are Switchgrass, Big bluestem, and Feather Reed grass.
- Wrap it up and gift it to nature using wraps that provide a scenic print.
- It might be makeover time- paint it dark grey or warm stone color.
- Diversion might be sufficient too! Put up some big plants around the electrical box
4. Chain Link Fences -- Give Them a Makeover!
Chain link fences tend to make the safety of your home seem prison-themed. However, there are certainly ways to make it more homely, and we’ve highlighted the best solutions for you!
- First things first- strip the silver out of them. The best way to do this is by painting them black or dark green.
- If you want the ultimate bohemian makeover, we recommend covering up the visible side of your fence with bamboo or reed screens. After this, your home is sure to be an essence of warmth.
- If you are going for a low-budget solution to acquiring some privacy, you can grab some fence privacy tapes to cover it up.
- If you are a nature lover, this technique is bound to be your favourite. Get gardening and plant voluptuous and oversized plants in front of the fence. We recommend planting shoal creek chaste trees or hydrangeas.
- Lastly, if the budget allows it, putting up a wooden fence is the most aesthetically pleasing solution.
5. Air Conditioning Units -- Build Beauty Around Them!
These bulky eyesores are often difficult to cover up, but you can still hide them from the world! They are not just very industrial to look at but they are also noisy as hell.
- Cover the air conditioning units using a privacy screen or build a fence around them.
- Attach flower baskets or boxes on the surrounding wall to create a vertical garden.
- Plant flowers or bushes in front of the units to obscure them from view.
Bliss Around the Garden
After remodelling your garden using your creative instincts, there is nothing better than making the outside of your home a place of relaxation!
You may have learned that it’s possible to balance both style and safety. But there’s still one thing left for you to learn- that there’s no time like the present to sunbathe and enjoy the essence of nature! Weather permitting of course..
If you would like to read more helpful storage articles like this, make sure to subscribe below 🙂